Grilled Steak or Chicken Fajitas
One night, I had no idea what to make for dinner (so what’s new). I opened the refrigerator door and closed it at least 10 times hoping that each time I looked in it, something would magically appear. It did not. 😉 I’m sure you have been there too. I finally decided to open one of the crisper drawers and alas, 2 bell peppers and an onion! Bam, I’m making grilled fajitas!
We just happened to have some carne asada that I had just gotten from Trader Joe’s (again, surprise surprise…my favorite place!). I sliced the yellow and red bell pepper into small strips and then got through slicing the onion with only minimal tears. I’ve used red onion, white onion, and yellow onion for these… but I definitely prefer red onions. As for the type of bell peppers, I honestly think they all taste the same so I’m all for adding color to my food.
I put my husband to work on the grill while I sautéed the bell peppers and onion and I warmed some tortillas up as well. The kids are not huge fans of the part that makes it a fajita…so I just plop some spinach on their plates while we get all the goodies. If I have avocados, I’ll make a quick guac to add to these, or if I have sour cream we will use that as well. If we do not have any tortillas, this is still a great dinner to throw on top of a salad. Use salsa and sour cream as a substitute for your dressing.
Cheers to an easy peasy dinner!
- BBQ grill
- 2 pounds carne asada or chicken whichever you are in the mood for
- 2 whole bell peppers any color
- 1 whole onion red or white
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 8-12 tortillas corn or flour
- 1 cup guacamole or sliced avocados
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Finely chop bell peppers and onion into long strips
- Heat olive oil and bell peppers and onions until tender, usually 7-10 minutes
- Grill steak or chicken (or both!) and chop into thin pieces
- Warm tortillas, on a griddle is the best
- Pile on meat and veggies and any other toppings you desire and enjoy!
Check out our website for other yummy recipes.