Yellow squash relish is a delightful and tangy condiment made from yellow summer squash, often harvested at the peak of their freshness. This relish combines the mild, slightly sweet flavor of yellow squash with a medley of other ingredients, including onions, bell peppers, vinegar, sugar, and various spices. The result is a versatile and flavorful relish that can elevate a wide range of dishes.
The preparation of yellow squash relish typically involves chopping or grating the squash, onions, and peppers finely. These ingredients are then simmered together with vinegar and sugar until they reach a thick, syrupy consistency. Spices like mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric are often added to enhance the flavor profile. The sweet and tangy combination with a hint of spice makes yellow squash relish a perfect accompaniment for burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, or as a condiment for grilled meats and vegetables.
Yellow squash relish offers a delightful balance of sweet and sour notes and can be enjoyed as a topping, dip, or condiment. Beyond its culinary versatility, it’s also a great way to preserve the flavors of summer squash for use throughout the year, adding a burst of sunshine to your meals even during the colder months.
Yellow Squash Relish
- 4 cups finely chopped yellow squash about 4-5 medium-sized squash
- 1 cup finely chopped onions about 1-2 medium-sized onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper about 1/2 pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper about 1/2 pepper
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes adjust to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by preparing the vegetables. Wash and peel the yellow squash, then finely chop it. Also, finely chop the onions, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped yellow squash, onions, and both types of bell peppers. Sprinkle with salt and allow them to sit for 30 minutes. This will help draw out excess moisture.
- After 30 minutes, drain the vegetables in a colander and rinse them under cold water to remove excess salt. Drain thoroughly.
- In a large pot, combine the drained vegetables, sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, and red pepper flakes. Stir well to combine.
- Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the relish thickens and the vegetables are tender.
- Season the relish with salt and black pepper to taste. Adjust the sweetness and spiciness according to your preference by adding more sugar or red pepper flakes if needed.
- Once the relish has reached your desired consistency and flavor, remove it from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer the yellow squash relish into clean, sterilized jars with airtight lids. Seal the jars while the relish is still hot to create a vacuum seal.
- Allow the jars to cool at room temperature, and once they are cool, store them in the refrigerator. The relish will continue to develop its flavors over time.
Whether homemade or store-bought, yellow squash relish is a must-try addition to any kitchen for those seeking a touch of sweetness and tang in their culinary creations.