Growing up in my family we had many summer nights outdoors, around a campfire; telling stories, eating, singing, laughing and making memories.
One thing we could always count on was a good meal made from the freshest garden ingredients. When choosing camping recipes many of the ingredients can be swapped out for fresh homegrown ingredients for an even better taste and greater nutritional value.
Santa Fe Chicken Foil Dinners are a perfect meal to cook over the campfire. Whether you are staying for a week or just one night, this meal is a fun, fantastically easy meal for any camping trip.
Santa Fe Tin Foil Chicken Dinners
- Tin Foil
- 1 Can Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles Drained
- 2 Cups Frozen Corn
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Brine while thawing
- 1/2 C Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cooking Spray
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken into a bowl and mix.
- Spray the individual tin foil squares with cooking spray.
- Cube the chicken and put it onto the sprayed side of the tin foil.
- Add 1/4 of the the vegetable and spice mix to to the chicken.
- Fold the tin foil packages over the mixture , leaving a little space in the packet to expansions and to allow the flavors to blend.
Another favorite of our camping recipes is the breakfast burrito. The breakfast burrito gets the morning off to a good start by fueling the family with the energy to get in a day full of fun. If you’d rather not pack along all the ingredients to make this breakfast meal, try this healthy granola recipe. This provides an easier alternative, or a snack while out and about.
- Campfire Griddle
- 1 Sleeve Bacon
- 2 M Bell Pepper Any Varienty you Like
- 1 ` M Onion
- 1 Pinch Pepper
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 12 L Eggs
- 1 Pkg Flour Tortillas
- 1 C Shredded Jack Cheese
- 6-8 Sq Tin Foil
- 4 M Russet or Red Potatoes According to your preference - Optional
- Start by placing the griddle on the fire to heat up.
- When the griddle is hot, cook the bacon,.
- When the bacon is cooked, leave the bacon grease on the griddle and add ,eggs peppers, and onions to the griddle and cook until soft/scrambled.
- Separately, pull out the tortillas and prepare to assemble the burritos by adding diced potatoes, and cheese to each tortilla.
- Spoon out a little egg mixture and add to the burritos.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the mixture.
- Wrap the burritos tightly.
- When the burritos are wrapped, place them into individual tin foil wraps and place them either directly over the fire or onto a grill over the fire to cook.
- If using potatoes, you will want to leave them on for about 30 minutes to cook the potatoes thoroughly. Without potatoes, the burritos will be ready in 8-10 minutes.
There are many more easy camping recipes that make camping fun. These recipes can also fuel the family for exciting adventures away from home. Our family enjoyed tacos, sloppy joes, hot dogs and hamburgers (OBVIOUSLY!). We snacked on watermelon, had pancake breakfasts, and even spaghetti along the many trails we traversed. The only real limits are your imagination.