Everyone loves a burger, and these are terrific year-round because you don’t need to grill them, just fire up the oven instead. If you’ve never pressed tofu before, this is a simple recipe that can show you how easy that is to do.
We love to make them with some roasted veggies or a simple salad for a fresh, filling meal. These tofu burgers are super flavorful and a nutritious, too. The tofu provides a great source of protein, while the oats, mushrooms, and onion add texture and flavor. Nutritional yeast and soy sauce give the burgers a savory umami taste, while smoked paprika adds a hint of smokiness. Ground flaxseed is added as a binder and also provides extra nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids.
Tasty Tofu Burgers
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- buns and toppings of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Drain and press the tofu to remove excess water. You can use a tofu press or wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and place a heavy object on top for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, crumble the tofu into small pieces using your hands.
- Add the rolled oats, mushrooms, onion, garlic, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, ground flaxseed, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Form the mixture into 4-6 burger patties, depending on how big you want them.
- Place the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they are firm and lightly browned.
- Serve the burgers on buns with your favorite toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, avocado, and vegan mayo.
If you are serving a larger group, you can easily double the recipe to make more burger patties. Enjoy them tonight!